SHELTER, ADVOCACY & EDUCATION
The mission of Harmony House is to provide shelter, advocacy and education to survivors of domestic violence and promote the principle that all individuals have the right to a life free of abuse.
This mission is supported by four agency goals:
- To provide short-term emergency protective shelter for survivors of domestic violence.
- To help survivors of domestic violence break the cycle of abuse through programs of education, support, referral and advocacy.
- To disseminate information to the community that promotes understanding about the factors involved in domestic violence, its prevalence, causes, patterns and prevention.
- To advocate for changes that will provide the opportunity for a lifestyle free of domestic violence for all people.
Started by a concerned group of community members in 1976, Harmony House has been providing shelter and support services to domestic violence survivors ever since and to date has impacted the lives of over 14,000 women and children.
The center began as a grassroots all-volunteer organization with the first survivors being sheltered in volunteers’ homes and area hotels, then in rented shelter homes.
Harmony House was incorporated on May 10, 1976 as the Family Violence Center.
In 1977, the first shelter was established at 624 Clay Street.
In 1978, the hotline for domestic violence was established.
In 1986, the shelter moved to a larger facility at 1021 E. Walnut Street
Properties donated by Carol Jones and Bee Payne Stewart in 1996 enabled the shelter to expand services yet again and remains the current location of the shelter today.
In 1997, transitional housing services were established.
In 1999, the childcare building was constructed and daycare services and recreational activities for children were added.
In 2005 and again in 2007, internal renovations to the shelter increased capacity to 110 beds.
In 2007, outreach services began.
In 2010, the name of the organization changed to Harmony House.